Crowds expected for grand opening of first Maryland store
WHAT: Sprouts Farmers Market is opening in Ellicott City! The new store will be the first Sprouts in Maryland, marking the grocer’s expansion to the mid-Atlantic to help meet the growing local demand for fresh, natural and organic foods at great prices.
WHERE: 9150 Baltimore National Pike
WHEN: Wednesday, March 14 at 7 a.m.
WHY: Sprouts will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the opening of the 30,000-square-foot store. The public is invited to join the festivities and shop among thousands of healthy items offered throughout the complete grocery store.
Grand opening day giveaways:
- The first 200 shoppers in line will receive 20 percent off their initial total purchase.
- Samples of Baltimore-based Michele’s Granola will be served to all shoppers in line, in addition to delicious muffins and coffee from Sprouts.
- Upon checkout, every 15th shopper will receive a coupon book featuring Sprouts savings.
- Every customer will receive one free reusable bag with purchase.
Grand opening weekend deals:
- Saturday, March 17 – The first 200 customers to make a purchase will receive a coupon booklet for five free deli items.
- Sunday, March 18 – Upon checkout, every 15th customer will receive a coupon for $5 off a purchase of more than $15 to use on their next visit.
Visuals and interviews:
- Hundreds of customers in line for the opening at 6 a.m.
- Ribbon Cutting at 6:50 a.m.
- Interviews with Sprouts spokesperson and founder Michele Tsucalas of award-winning Michele’s Granola
To celebrate the first Sprouts in the state, the Sprouts Healthy Communities Foundation will donate $2,500 to TasteWise Kids, a non-profit organization that empowers Baltimore-area students to think about food from its source to the plate through hands-on, educational programs.
Shoppers will enjoy locally made products throughout the store from Maryland-based companies, including Wild Kombucha, Ever Bar, Hale’s Homemade Salsa, Lord Byron’s Honey and B’More Organic.
As part of Sprouts’ commitment to “zero waste,” the new Ellicott City Sprouts will donate unsold and edible groceries to Maryland Food Bank through the grocer’s Food Rescue program. In 2017, Sprouts stores and distribution centers donated 23 million pounds of product, equivalent to 19 million meals. Food that is not fit for donation is provided to local cattle farms and composting facilities. Sprouts’ evolving “zero waste” initiatives help minimize food waste while reducing the impact of hunger and the company’s environmental footprint.
About Sprouts Farmers Market
Sprouts Farmers Market, Inc. specializes in fresh, natural and organic products at prices that appeal to everyday grocery shoppers. Based on the belief that healthy food should be affordable, Sprouts’ welcoming environment and knowledgeable team members continue to drive its growth. Sprouts offers a complete shopping experience that includes an array of fresh produce in the heart of the store, a deli with prepared entrees and side dishes, The Butcher Shop and The Fish Market at Sprouts, an expansive vitamins and supplements department and more. Headquartered in Phoenix, Ariz., Sprouts employs more than 27,000 team members and operates nearly 300 stores in 15 states from coast to coast. Visit sfmaboutprod.wpengine.com for more information.