Sprouts is committed to eliminating waste and fighting hunger in our communities through a “Zero Waste” goal, a 90 percent waste diversion rate as defined by the EPA. In 2018, we repurposed nearly 200 million pounds of food and other recyclables from our waste stream, resulting in an overall diversion rate of 55 percent. Here are some of the programs we have in place to help keep our planet healthy:
Food Rescue Program
From day one, each Sprouts store participates in a food waste diversion program that provides food to those in need, feed for animals and nutrients for agricultural soil.
- In-store energy reduction program utilizing features such as night curtains, natural light harvesting and LED lighting designed to conserve resources
- Recycled more than 91 million pounds of cardboard in 2018
- Recycled more than 43 million plastic bags and more than 850,000 pounds of glass, hard plastics, paper and aluminum
- Partner with EPA SmartWay transportation carriers dedicated to increasing fuel economy in their fleets and reducing carbon emissions
- Started pilot of battery storage systems in stores to reduce on-peak energy demand
- Single-Stream Recycling programs at over 50 percent of our stores (i.e., recycling of glass, aluminum, hard plastic and paper)
“Sprouts Farmers Market continues to be an environmental leader in the supermarket industry through exceptional refrigeration management.”
Tom Land, manager of EPA’s GreenChill program, 2019
In 2009, Sprouts joined the EPA’s GreenChill program, a partnership with food retailers to reduce refrigerant emissions and decrease their impact on the ozone layer and climate change. Currently, 87 Sprouts stores are GreenChill certified, with more expected as we continue to grow.
Exploring Green Technology
Sprouts Woodstock is the first grocery store in North America to utilize Second Nature™ CO2 Ejection refrigeration technology, the most energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly refrigeration system available in the industry. The cutting-edge technology takes up a much smaller carbon footprint, uses naturally occurring CO2 that delivers a Global Warming Potential of almost zero, saves an average of up to 10 percent energy savings each year and meets the qualifications for the EPA’s GreenChill Platinum certification.