Make-at-Home Big Game Eats
Big flavor is packed into these two classic recipes – first off, crispy and satisfying Gluten-Free Mozzarella Sticks that are sure to please your Big Game party. Next up, French Onion Dip made vegan with plant-based sour cream that adds irresistible tang and richness. Try these dishes at home as the perfect eats to accompany the Big Game, and for more cooking inspiration, visit sprouts.com.
Gluten-Free Mozzarella Sticks
By Holly Baker – abakershouse.com
- 12 oz. Sprouts Mozzarella String Cheese (1 bag)
- ¼ cup white rice flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups gluten free Panko style Breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Sprouts Canola Oil for frying (Use baking spray if baking.)
- 1 cup Sprouts Organic no salt added Marinara Pasta Sauce (for dipping)
- Unwrap the string cheese and cut the 12 portions in half so that you have 24 pieces of mozzarella.
- Prepare your breading station: set up three containers. One with ¼ cup white rice flour, the second with 3 whisked eggs, and the third with 2 cups gluten free Panko breadcrumbs mixed with the salt and pepper.
- Roll each piece of mozzarella in the white rice flour, then fully submerge in the eggs. Next, coat with the Panko breadcrumbs. Now, double dip! Repeat the step of coating in eggs and then the Panko breadcrumbs. Set the breaded mozzarella sticks on a freezer safe baking tray or other container.
- Once you have coated all the mozzarella pieces, cover and freeze the breaded cheese sticks for at least an hour. Don’t skip this step – freezing helps to adhere the coating to the cheese and also prevents the cheese from completely melting before the coating is browned when frying or baking.
- Pour about 1/3 cup canola oil into an 8 inch pan. Bring the oil temperature to 375 degrees over medium to medium-high heat. Carefully place 4 frozen mozzarella sticks at a time into the oil. Fry for 3 minutes on the first side then gently turn over and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel. Cook the remaining pieces. Keep the fried mozzarella sticks on a baking tray in a 275 degree oven until ready to serve.
- Other cooking methods – Baked Mozzarella Sticks: Spray the sticks with canola oil baking spray. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes, rotating the sticks every 2-3 minutes to brown all four sides. Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks: Heat to 375 degrees and cook for 8 minutes, turning halfway through.
Vegan French Onion Dip
By Elaine Gordon – eatingbyelaine.com
- 1 1/4 cup Vegan Sour Cream (Try options from Tofutti, Good Karma, Kite Hill or Forager at Sprouts, or use Elaine’s recipe for Easy Homemade Vegan Sour Cream)
- 3/4 cup Caramelized Onions, about 1 large yellow onion (See Elaine’s recipe for Caramelized Onions)
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. fine salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Garnishes of your choice: Try freshly ground black pepper or chopped herbs, such as chives, green onions
- To serve with: Potato chips, pita chips, crackers, or raw vegetables
- Add the vegan sour cream to a large mixing bowl. Fold in the chopped and cooled caramelized onions.
- Stir in the onion powder, salt and garlic powder. Taste and adjust flavors as needed. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight to allow the flavor of the caramelized onions to infuse the vegan sour cream.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl. Garnish with freshly chopped chives, black pepper and reserved diced caramelized onions if desired.
- Serve with potato chips and/or freshly sliced raw veggies.
- Store leftover dip in an airtight container for up to five days.