In 2019, the Sprouts Healthy Communities Foundation achieved its biggest year of giving to date, donating $3 million to nonprofit organizations that bring fresh food access and nutrition education programs to youth.
The dollars were distributed through the annual Neighborhood Grants program, supporting small nonprofits working at the community level, as well as through Impact and Healthy Communities Grants, which assist larger organizations working across multiple communities.
2019 Neighborhood Grant Highlights
- $725,000 was awarded to 118 nonprofit organizations across 22 states.
- Recipients include six nonprofits in Sprouts’ newest markets of Louisiana, New Jersey and Virginia.
2019 Multi-Year Grant Highlights
- The Healthy Communities Grant launched with $250,000 awarded among four nonprofit partners.
- The Foundation invested $621,000 in Life Lab, a national leader in the school gardening movement.
- Sage Garden Project received a $325,000 Impact Grant to purchase mobile cooking carts and provide nutrition education to children in southern California.
Through the Foundation’s nonprofit partners, thousands of kids will receive hands-on programming, including cooking classes and gardening-based learning, all while increasing their access to fresh, healthy food.
2019 Day of Service
On November 9, 2019, the Sprouts Day of Service brought together 650 team members in 38 volunteer events across the country. Together, they assembled weekend hunger backpacks for kids, built tables and benches for neighborhood gardens, and harvested produce for families in need.
- Team members in Seattle, Wash. volunteered with nonprofit, Solid Ground, preparing the community Giving Garden for winter.
- In Lubbock, Texas team members sorted and packed nearly 5,000 meals to feed hungry families.
- Sprouts volunteers in Baltimore, Md. volunteered with Living Classrooms, building six raised garden beds for their after-school garden programs.
By the end of 2019, the Foundation had awarded a total of $10 million during its five years of giving. This milestone would not be possible without the generous support of Sprouts’ vendors, customers, and team members – thank you!
To learn more about the Sprouts Healthy Communities Foundation, please visit sprouts.com/foundation.